Atiq Ahmed: Atiq Ahmad, Ashraf Ahmad killed in Prayagraj: What we know so far | India News


NEW DELHI: Mafia-turned-politician Atiq Ahmad and his brother Ashraf Ahmad were shot dead while being taken for medical checkup in Prayagraj on Saturday, said officials.
What we know so far:

  • Atiq and his brother were talking to the media when they were killed near Dhoomanganj police station around 10pm.
  • Two-three people reportedly opened fire on the duo.
  • The gunmen were allegedly posing as mediapersons and shot at the brothers at close range.
  • All the gunmen have been taken into custody and the weapons have also been recovered, according to some local media reports.
  • The suspects have been identified as Luvlesh Tiwari, Sunny and Arun Maurya. They are under police custody and are being interrogated, said media reports.
  • The bodies of the brothers have been sent to SRN hospital.
  • The police said that a motorcycle allegedly used by the gunmen has also been recovered.
  • Senior police officials including Special DG (law and order) Prashant Kumar summoned at CM Yogi Adityanath’s office.

Reacting to the shooting, Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav said the crime had reached its peak in UP and “morale of the criminals is high”.
“What about the safety of the general public when some are shot dead amidst the security cordon of the police personnel? Due to this, an atmosphere of fear is being created among the public, it seems that some people are deliberately creating such an atmosphere,” said Yadav.
The deaths comes just days after Atiq’s son Asad and his accomplice Ghulam — both wanted in the Umesh Pal murder case — were shot dead in an exchange of fire with the Uttar Pradesh Police near Jhansi on April 13.
Asad was the third of the five sons of Atiq Ahmad and was absconding since the Umesh Pal murder case.
The last rites of Asad were performed at Kasari Masari graveyard on Saturday amid heavy police security, with only a few distant relatives and locals present inside the burial ground. The burial lasted for an hour, police said.
(This is a developing story)

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsInnings is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.